Lollapalooza

24 June 2011

I'm Hungry!

Story of my life, right...it's 10pm...I was tired two hours ago and I shoulda gone to bed. But such is the busy life of a Mom. I love it but it sure leaves me short on sleep and bigger than I'd like when it comes time to shop for jeans. A few months ago I discovered I am gluten intolerant. That has thrown a monkey wrench into my love affair with food. But alas, I can fight a good fight :-) I try as hard as I can, when I can, to avoid it like the plaque. Soooooo...a few nights ago I was trying to figure out what I could eat with minimal preparation time, no gluten and the meager ingredients left in my fridge and cabinet. I fell back on one of my go to, inexpensive, self packaged little spheres...



Yes, the incredible, edible egg. Chicken eggs in case you questioned what poultry I "violated" to fill my belly. Give 'em to me hard boiled, soft boiled, poached, deviled, scrambled, in a quiche, omelet or cookie. They fill the gap, have plenty of protein, longevity of freshness and come in fun colors if your lucky enough to know some folks that have laying chickens like myself. Anyhoo, meet what my late night snack craving got me a few nights ago.



I'm not looking for oohs and ahhs over the presentation here but lemme just say, this was NUMMY! I sauteed some peppers, fresh mushrooms and onions in some EVOO then I scrambled the eggs right in the pan (don't forget salt and pepper!). I like hot and cold combos on food so of course I had to add my favorite salsa - peach and pineapple from Safeway (a staple in my house). God was good to me and I scored a bag of avocados from Costco earlier this week so what better way to add some color, nutrition and flavor to an already delicious meal snack. I seem to have gone overboard and somehow ended up with a meal but in my defense, ever since I have gone gluten free my three main foods are rice chex, salads and cheese. Sometimes I just gotta have something hot and I tend to be hungry more often. As I continue learning about eating gluten free and experimenting with more foods I'm sure my menu will grow again but for now, this is it. Bon Apetit!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, now I can comment! Yay! How'd they get those eggs all those colors??? Gluten?? Huh! So is the J-baby.....

    ReplyDelete